It can be a common misconception that brides to be do not need to wear a bra when it comes to their big day. This is often the case with a backless wedding dress and boned wedding dresses. Our obsession with illusion back wedding dresses and open back gowns make finding the right bra quite a challenge.
- Before you buy your dress do consider your breasts and what you are happy to expose or not as the case maybe.
- Many strapless dresses although beautiful can be quite a challenge for ladies with either tiny or large breasts.
- Remember you will be wearing this wedding gown for a long time and yes you want to look fabulous but equally it needs to be comfortable.
- Buy your wedding dress first
- If possible take your dress along with you for your lingerie fitting
- If this isn’t possible take a picture of your wedding dress with you or make sure you have a full description.
- If your wedding dress is boned you cannot wear a corset underneath your dress.
- Decide your budget and let your fitter know
- If you have an idea of what wedding Lingerie you’re looking for then do share this information with your fitter too.
- Your wedding night & honeymoon are the beginning of a fabulous new journey with your husband. Would you want a beautiful negligee or gown to make him the happiest man on the planet and you look and feel like a star of the silver screen? We know we would! So think about something for your wedding night and honeymoon.
The prettiest bridal lingerie sets
These beautiful wedding lingerie sets are just the ticket if your looking for something really special on your wedding day.
Credit: Allechanto on Etsy
- 18 On trend Backless Wedding Dresses
- 10 Beautiful Grey Wedding Dresses
- 10 Change the Date ideas you will love
Credit: Allechanto on Etsy
Bex from Bex Brides tells us why this isn’t true.
As a specialized bridal seamstress I get to alter a significant number of bridal gowns every year. When you add all those brides to my bespoke clients and all the brides who buy vintage and preloved gowns from me, I get to see a lot of ladies in their underwear! Many ask the question “what kind of bra can I wear with this?” a lot assume that they do not need to wear a bra with a bridal gown, because it has boning in it.
Why you need a bra with your wedding dress?
It will make for a much more comfortable wedding day if your body is shaped by shape wear and a correctly fitting good quality bra. Even if the gown has a built in separate corset, this is usually when the gown is zip or button back and the internal corset is to take the strain rather than the external fastenings.
If I had a £1 for every lady I have met who was wearing the wrong size bra!
Get a bra fitting
I always recommend that my brides visit a bra specialist and get correctly measured. I find many come back from their next fitting and say I was right and that they have never felt so good in a bra. If you wear the correct bra, or basque then that garment supports you and the gown can be laced, buttoned or zipped to fit your already perfectly positioned bust, rather than having to be so tight that you risk fainting during the speeches!
The right bra for a backless wedding dress
With the popularity of illusion bodice gowns ( lace top over sweetheart bodice) and low or sheer lace backs, many brides assume a bra is out of the question, however there are many excellent bras out there, such as Wonderbra strapless, that has a wide support under it and a low cut back strap. If the gown has straps and a low back you can buy a multiway or a strap extender to lower the straps at the back and criss cross them round your midriff. You can also get a huge choice of bridal stick on bras, some with just cups and some with straps that come around the side of your rib cage for extra support on larger cup sizes.
Credit: Ender Legard on Etsy
Wedding Underwear Tips
- Once your top half is sorted you need to choose the correct knickers, if choosing control type pants, remember they will need poppers as once you are fastened into your gown you will be unable to pull them down, and you may need to visit the little girl’s room…
- For brides concerned about their tummy. I often suggest a basque with suspenders or a lightly boned suspenders belt which gives that extra feeling of being held in, without removing the ability to visit the toilet!
- You also need to wear the correct underskirt, hoop, petticoat if the dress requires it.
For more information contact:
Eclectic Brides on Etsy